Fair Housing Specialist
The Tennessee Fair Housing Council (the Council) has an immediate opening for a dynamic individual to conduct Intake and perform general office duties. The Council is dedicated to eliminating housing discrimination and promoting housing choice for all people through education, advocacy, and enforcement of fair housing laws. Located in Nashville, Tennessee, the Council is a private non-profit organization established in 1995. The Council provides direct client services to Davidson and surrounding counties: and education and outreach across the State of Tennessee.
Please email resume, writing sample, and cover letter as outlined below. Position will remain open until filled.
SALARY RANGE: Depends on Experience
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Fair Housing Specialist is frequently the first person with whom a potential client has contact. Therefore, the ability to interact with persons of all socio-economic backgrounds is a must. The Fair Housing Specialist is responsible for the prompt, accurate interview of potential clients and data entry into the case management system, maintain client files, and records for reports. The Fair Housing Specialist will assist the Staff Attorney with drafting letters and other documents.
- Associate Degree or equivalent experience in business, paralegal studies, sociology, or another related field.
- Highly motivated, and capable of working in a busy environment.
- Excellent critical thinking and analysis skills.
- Capacity to work without close supervision and meet deadlines
- Attention to detail, highly organized, and able to maintain accurate records
- Excellent writing skills with proficiency in Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Demonstrated oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively to a diverse audience
- Demonstrated desire to work on behalf of civil rights protections
- Ability to remain flexible
- Must be able to learn the pertinent laws and analogize to a client’s issue
- Knowledge of fair housing laws and Tennessee landlord/tenant laws
- Experience working in the non-profit environment, especially those funded by multiple grants
- Client/Case Management experience
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Knowledge of Quickbooks accounting package
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interview potential clients, screening for cases that fall within our client service area and priorities, and those that should be referred to a legal aid organization
- Enter potential client information into the case management system
- Set up clients’ files to ensure that all documents are available and in order
- Draft and send letters to clients
- Assist in planning and presenting the Council’s annual Fair Housing Event and other outreach events
- Maintain case management system on all cases and calls for legal proceedings and grant reporting, as well as detailed time-keeping records for multiple grants.
- Safeguard clients’ security and confidentiality
- Work as a team and support the mission and goals of the organization and programs
- Provide accurate, complete, and timely information for grant reporting and management
- Assist the Executive Director with Grant Reporting
- Other duties as assigned
Salary is dependent on experience. Currently, this position is 40 hours/week. Office hours are M – Fr 9:00am – 5:30pm. Generous insurance package with health, dental, and vision coverage. Personal leave earned at the rate of 2 days/month, 10 paid holidays, and free onsite parking. Occasional weekends and nights may be required, as well as occasional travel. This is a non-exempt position. The anticipated start date for this position is immediately.
Please send resume, writing sample, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line “TFHC Fair Housing Specialist”. No phone calls please.
The Tennessee Fair Housing Council is an equal opportunity employer.
We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Kathy@tennfairhousing.org.